Tuesday, February 5, 2013

American BB Creams: the good, the bad, and the toxic.

Hello readers! Given this is my first post, I might be better off saying "hello roommate!" or "hello mom!" since I'm sure they are my only page viewers right now...haha. 

BB creams seem to be the latest craze amongst all mid-range and drugstore brands of makeup, claiming to be an "Asian sensation!" in skincare. Some even go as far as saying their product is a miracle for the skin...as if the 9-in-1 claims ween't enough to draw us in already.

I had my first experience with a BB cream this past summer. I reserve wearing liquid foundation and primer only for special occasions, especially since so many only seem to irritate my already oily/combination skin. For me, this "miracle" cream was going to be an option for my skin to look great and even-toned without overdoing it on the foundation. After all, a sheer tinted powder just wasn't going to cut it come fall. 

I have done much research on many American BB creams, tested many, and dug into their ingredients in order to classify and rate each one. I am in no way, shape, or form, a chemist, but I know a lot about what ingredients are potentially toxic in skin care. To determine "bad ingredients" for each BB cream, I am using these two lists: The Dirty Dozen and Top 15 Most Dangerous Ingredients.

*I understand that American BB Creams do not add up to their Asian predecessor, and since I have never tried a real Asian BB cream, I cannot judge these American ones based on that, but base it on being a skin tinting and moisturizing cream.

Products I have tried:
(I plan on updating this post as I try new BB creams.)

Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector in Light/Medium

Price: $13
Good ingredients: Glycerin, which promotes hydration, which may be bad for oilier skin
Bad ingredients: Disodium EDTA, a chelator, which "perfects" low-grade materials
Pros: Evens skin tone; SPF 15; long lasting 
Cons: Very creamy and a little greasy
Skin type: Normal; combination
Overall rating: 7
Overall, I really like this BB cream, though it doesn't do too much for my skin but tint it ever so slightly. I am happy with the results, and the ingredients for the  most part. 

Aveeno Clear Complexion BB Cream in Fair to Light

Price: $17
Good ingredients: Soybeen seed extract
Bad ingredients: Fragrance; urea
Pros: SPF 30, oil-free, soy-based
Cons: Not many shade options...only one I saw was fair-light
Skin type: Normal; combination; oilier skin; dry
Overall rating: 8
I really like this BB cream/tinted moisturizer because it's very light and refreshing. It will be great for the summer because of the broad spectrum SPF and it's not greasy feeling at all. Not happy it contains urea and fragrance though...why must they put fragrance in it? Doesn't make my skin feel/look oily. Also on the pricy side.


Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm in Vanilla Glow
Price: $34
Good ingredients: Ginseng and other root extracts
Bad ingredients: Glycerin, which may be bad for oilier skin
Pros: Paraben free, SPF 20, vegan, oil-free, hypoallergenic
Cons: Costly for 1.5 fl. oz.; almost too silky
Skin type: Normal to combination; dry
Overall rating: 8





Products I will not try because of horrible, toxic ingredients:

Olay Fresh Effects BB Cream
-Loaded with parabens

L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream in Light
-Also contains parabens

I will add to this list as I try more. 

What are your thoughts on the above mentioned BB creams? Do you look for specific ingredients in your makeup that are either winners or losers? Comment below!




No comments:

Post a Comment